Matt Riley was taking us today and showing us that animation does not necessarily have to conform to narrative, t can be form driven, sound driven, mood driven etc. There are other ways of communicating than using character and plot. The computer has helped open up the media and now there are many different ways to go:
- Machina, 3D virtual worlds
- procedural/generated animation
We looked the work of the illustrator/animator Adrian Rose (http://www.jettisoncargo.com/) , whose initial design athough great as illustrations they did not translate well and were not practical for animation. In the end he went with animating a the silhouettes of some of his characters to a great music track with excellent results.
Here are some other artist’s works that we looked at:
- Michael Buckley, gestural animation
- Patricia Piccinni
- John Powers, time-based collage. Colour, space, shape instead of characters.
- http://www.lycettebros.com/ leading desginers. Visuals must say something else other than the sound, otherwise it’s just illustrated radio.
- Unreal tournament
- Clive Patterson, hand-animated and procedurally multiplied
- Here is another clip: